Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Septic system status

Status
Not open for further replies.

msquared48

Structural
Aug 7, 2007
US
What is the best way to see if a septic system is functional, electrically and drainfield short of getting it inspected?
In the recent past, at least one private travel trailer was stored over the drainfield and there may be no power to the pump. The pumps have been checked out with an extension cord and are ok.

I just do not want to dig up all the lines if I don't have to.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How old is it? General rule of thumb for our area is 20-25 years depending on maintenance and soil conditions.

You could try putting dye into the sink and running water, lots of water, to see if the system could accept it. Just a thought. If it fails, the dye might come out of the ground or their will be a backup.

Put the maximum daily flow of water into the septic system and check to see if the water is coming up through the soil.

It was originally installed in 1979. Do no know if it has been updated. It does have a reserve.

Mainly worried about the trailers having crushed the pipes in the past.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Are there inspection stacks? There should be one or more at each of the 'top' end and 'bottom' ends of the field.
Take the caps off and look, there should be no standing water in them.
When water is running into the field you may see it at the 'top' end, but never at the far end.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

No.

The reserve is just extra infiltration trenching and pervious piping to be utilized when, and I did say when, the primary becomes clogged. Required in our area. Like oversizing an infiltration trench for a storm water detention system.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Washington State used to register their On-Site Sewage Disposal System Designers. They get a signed certificate and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back