Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

serial ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

richerdick

Electrical
Jan 10, 2007
GB
is there a reliable way to get over the problem that most new laptops have no serial ports, does anyone have any experiences with the pcmcia card ports? or usb to serial converters
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks for your help guys on reflection i have decided to flex my muscles with the IT guys and insist they sort me a laptop with a serial port. I have done some research and apparently Dell still do one. As a couple of you suggest i will only run into problems when i really need the connection to work and i would like to have a bit of confidence in the kit am using. the allen bradley pic being one of the many items involved only makes me more definate
thanks again

Rich,
USB to serial works for me for most applications. It’s an inexpensive solution to the advancement of technology beyond serial ports. PC cards are more expensive but on the rare occasion necessary.
Simple Question, Simple Answer, No Flames, No Games
Have a Nice Day!

I am using Acer Travelmate notebook with WinXP.
USB-to-Serial (I prefer Tripp-Lite), PCMCIA and 1747-UIC work all fine, however:
- Windows assigns different COM to the same device when plugged into different USB connectors. Not a tragedy but keep this in mind.
- Windows reboots if the USB device is unplugged while active.
- After hibernation or standby these devices do not work anymore for most of applications and must be replugged and the application restarted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back