Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial Spacemouse with Solidworks 2011 ? Anyone had any luck ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianmredfern

Industrial
Jan 10, 2011
GB
I picked up a Serial Space Mouse Plus from Ebay a month back, and have just come to try and install it but with no luck !

Does anyone out there use one / know how to get it to work with Solidworks 2011 - or as it is a bit old now, is it no use.

The website for 3Dconnexion says they do not support it anymore. But I belive that it may still be possible to get this to work ?

Thanks

Ian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the only one that is supported is the USB port 3D mouse.

Serial ports were obsoleted about 2-3 years ago when using it with SW, not sure about other software.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I think that you will need to use an older spacemouse driver
I have attached a link to v2.8.2 which I believe is the last to support serial devices. as far as I know serial to usb convertors won't work...
I think that if you install this driver, you can install the later programs over the top to get the latest functionality...
Hope this helps,
Cliff

Install the v2.8.2 driver, just the main 3D Connexion program. Do not install any program specific add-ins. Then go and get the latest driver for an Explorer from the 3D Connexion website. Install just the SolidWorks add-in. We have serial spaceballs working with SW2011 and Windows XP.

Not sure if the above will work on Windows 7 systems.

Anna Wood
Xeon W3680, Nvidia Quadro 4000, 12 Gb RAM, WD Velociraptor, Dell U3011 Monitor
SW2011 SP1, Windows 7 x64

fantastic thank you !!! will try to get on with it today, work load allowing ! We are on Xp here too, so fingers crossed

I have not been able to get my USB space mouse to work with W7.
:-(

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2010 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back