serial to ethernet encapsulation drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

warickwrx

Electrical
Mar 19, 2013
ZA
Hi

I am trying to understand the concept of serial to ethernet encapsulation. I can appreciate that the serial comms suite can be packaged within a TCP packet and sent across a network and will be unpacked at the remote TCP ip device back to serial. But I suppose my real question regards software based on older legacy serial communications and its ability to access the devices via direct IP instead of a Serial Device Server based communication. I would like the Serial Device Server to be set as a TCP Server and allow IP access to the device using the IP address. I would think that the software drivers for the legacy equipment would need to support this functionality but is there no intermediate software which can sit in the middle to get around this.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe - but I'm not positive - that some of the serial over Ethernet products basically appear to the OS as a new serial port. So your legacy system likely needs to be running under an OS

While what you describe is, in principle, possible, it's unlikely that there's going to be an off-the-shelf product for what you want.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

My reading is that the OP is asking to be able to directly address the IP portion of the serial over IP interface. Unless the OP has the full interface, that's unlikely to happen, although it's possible there's open source serial over IP available.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

I am already performing the connection to the device via a serial server using tcp and psuedo serial comms ports. At this stage I am just investigating the possibility of another option using the method described . I will do some more exploring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back