Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Serrated fins 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

roaling

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2004
IT
I should appreciate to have information, formulas and procedures on how calculate the heat transfer coefficient of tubes with serrated fins.
Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To IRstuff.
Frankly,I know something about plain fins but nothing on serrated. Reference books just to start with the principles and then more detailed info will be very much useful.

hello roaling
lots of books treat fins of variable cross section area, and most of them walk through the derivation of one example geometry.
for example Bejan ("Heat Transfer") derives the tapered fin equation....i think the "serated" design you are looking at is his "tapered" design rotated 90 degrees......it might not be hard to take your geometry and walk through his step by step derivation.
actually you might be able to use the basic tapered fin equations (fin of linearly varying cross section) as ithey stand....havent really studied that possiblity.

daveleo

Hi Roaling,
Probably the best study of heat transfer coefficients for serrated fins was done by Escoa Fintube Company. They developed a complete method for thermal rating both solid and serrated fins.
You can find their method explained as well as JavaScripts to do the calculations at for Heat Recovery Steam Generators and Waste Heat Boilers or for Direct Fired Heater Convection Sections at Thanks,
Jack Hardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back