Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service life of underground mild steel pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

shewelder

Structural
Mar 29, 2011
US
I am working on a project for a new school in Southern California and there is an unlined, underground,soil wrapped, 24" mild steel pipe that runs through the property. The pipe leaks, the 'owner' of the line has already patched it (with a redwood plug) but we would like to find a way to get them to replace this line.

I did some of my own research before posting here, but I can't find expected service life of something of this nature anywhere.

What is the service life of underground soil wrapped pipe? It would be a shame to install hardscape and a football field of artificial turf over a pipe that is going to continue to leak.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The old pipe may have the right of way. first you will have to look very closely at the deed for school property. That said , what is flowing in the pipe? Is it a pressure line? The school may have to pay to rehab or relocate this pipe.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

In Oklahoma we use a lot of unlined steel pipe in dams as the principal spillway. Usually it is 5/16 to 3/8 minimum thickness. Our soil will corrode a corrugated metal pipe in about 20 to 25 years. I would recommend insituform or lning the pipe with polethylene. It has proven the best method for us.

WWW.thatdamengineer.com

http://www.thatdamengineer.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back