Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service pack update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezcal

Mechanical
Aug 25, 2005
US
Hello all. I'm ready to update from SW '08 SO 0.0 to SP 2.1

I just want to make sure I'm following the suggested procedures for service pack updates. Should I uninstall and re-install with the new service pack or, as some suggest, just update the release to the current service pack? Perhaps there are new tips for this area that I'm not aware of. All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

SW '08 SP0.0
XP Pro SP2

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With Service Packs you can do a simple update.

When changing SW versions you should uninstall the old version first ... unless you want multiple installs.

BTW, SP3 should be released within a week or two.

[cheers]

Remember to shut off virus protection.

Bradley
SolidWorks Pro 2008 x64 SP3.0EV
PDMWorks Workgroup, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400
e-mail is Lotus Notes

I don't mean to keep kicking this topic around but I'm a little confused. I attempt to update, not upgrade, from SW '08 SP0 to SW '08 SP3.0 but I feel I'm doing something wrong. Here's the steps I'm taking:
1. Check for updates
2. proceed with the upgrade but it's not a quick download and, boom, I'm 'running' again.

The download tells me it's 750mb in size. Is this correct? I've tried to download the service pack from the website and, when I attempt to upgrade, I'm back in the same mode of 'downloading installation files' (750mb). Am I do something wrong? Or is there an easy, simple method as mentioned in the documentation I've read? What's the correct method of actually downloading the service packs and applying? I've been using SW since SW '01 and I haven't experienced this frustration in any previous versions.

Thanks for any advise and input.

SW 2008 SP 0.0
XP2 Pro SP2
nVidia FX1400
Dell 380 Workstation

Hi,

Did you try donwloading it again and then continue installation? Cuz Im always downloading 2 times for a SP.
Or mabey its just because you upgrading from 0.0 to 3.0
And if it dont work anycase, re-install SW ^^

Good luck with it

ZillionM

Mexcal are you downloading direct from SW website or using SW IM??

It is recomended by SW that we all use SW Instalation Manager now for upgrading!

If you run IM it tells you all parts of your instalation that will require updates and what versions they are currently @.

then folow the steps and designate a folder to download to and away you go. this will do all the re-trying etc if the server is busy and eventually (3-6 hours in some cases) it will download all you need and promt you to install. the avarage download at the moment is 3.4Gb for the total 2008 SP3.0 update

That includes e-drawings, PDM, DWGeditor etc.

hope this helps

K3RSH

Thanks for the tips. I just finished updating and it took about 1.75 hours. Thanks again for the reassurance that I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back