Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Servo motor control

Status
Not open for further replies.

markbannister

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2001
US
I've got an application where we just need essentially a drill press with a brake (it's a spin welding application). We will manually bring the spindle down but I need to be able to stop the spindle quickly.
In some old equipment I found a brush-less servomotor, pacific scientific R67HENA-R2-NS-NV-00 27.6 amps 2200 RPM, its programmable controller, SC150 Series position controller and sensors.

Now this is a WHOLE lot more than I need programing and control wise but how hard would it be to use this motor and controller?
Would I need the programing software or could I rig it somehow to work, maybe just ditching the control altogether.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A servo motor needs a servo drive, that drive that you have is ancient in the servo world, circa 1990. Nothing about it is supported any longer by Kollmorgen, the people who long ago bought PacSci, so it would mean finding and buying a new servo drive that is compatible with that motor and honestly not likely worth the effort for a drill press. If you know that the power requirement is under 2.2kW, you can just go buy a small 3 phaee motor and any VFD, which at that size will accept 1 phase input and give you 3 phase output, then get a braking resistor for the VFD if it will not stop the spindle fast enough like it is. Likely less than 1/2 the cost of a servo drive and far far less time messing with it.

"Will work for (the memory of) salami"

Do you need to stop the spinning at an "exact" point? Some applications for spin welding have features on both pieces that need a specific orientation with each other. Those applications require the drive to stop accurately at a particular angular postion.

I didn't look up that motor but wow, 6HP servo? If you don't use it for the spindle, don't throw it away!

"Will work for (the memory of) salami"

Thanks everyone.
A typical servo drive spin welder would be able to stop in a specific orientation. I don't need this for our application.
In this case stopping in 1 second would be more than enough.
So mikekilroy, with the software (and if everything still works) would it be reasonably easy to get it going? Mounting it on the press will be simple (it's not really a drill press but a largish table top, manual milling center).
I could also just throw the time into the tooling side and design a clutched tool that would do that job.

I should have included in the questions: do you NEED this 6hp of motor? IIRC the motor is rated 20nm (about 14#-ft)? If not, with no positioning required and 1 sec to stop, a smaller low cost AC motor and sensorless vfd as Jraef suggested prob is better choice.

I cannot tell you how hard the antique SC150 would be to setup, program, and use; my experience is with the Kollmorgen products from 1970's on; I can share docs and data and software from PacSci but never ran that old control, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back