Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set Z-Axis to vertical? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWan

Aerospace
Apr 18, 2008
US
Howdy all,

I reviewed several old topics on this, but nothing lately. I work in aerospace and would like to use their standard coordinate system which is:

The YZ plane is called the station plane and moving along the positve X axis moves this plane from nose to tail.
The XY plane is called the water line plane and moving along the positive Z axis moves this plane up from the ground.
The XZ plane is called the butt line plane which would split the aircraft along its plane of vertical symmetry. Moving along the positive Y Axis moves this plane off to the right side of the airplane. (sometimes left, causeing a left handed coordinate system which is just wrong so I don't accept that.)

The problem is that the an airplane would look like it's standing on its left wing pointing to the left in an ISO view. If there was a simple switch to have the Z axis point up on the triad, then the airplane would be setting on its landing gear and pointing to the right, a top view would be looking at the top of the airplane and a right view would be looking at the right side of the airplane and a forward view would be looking forward in the same direction as the airplane, everything would be cool.

Is there a way to have SolidWorks set the view so the Z axis is vertical in the ISO view? The old topics were more concerned with translating from CAD to CAM or to create and ISO view for a drawing, but I'd prefer to have the right behavior while modeling. This would really just entail rotating the view normal to the screen 120°.

Any suggestions? Thanks for everyones help.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can re-orient your views in the modeling environment. Orient the model to the way you want the front view to appear. Hit spacebar, The View Orientation window will pop open. Single click on the front view label in the View Orientation window. Now click on reset views in that same window... viola.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

ShaggyPE, I tried your method to modify the view orientation and it basically works, except that where you say to click on reset views I think you meant to say to click on update views. It works for me. Thanks.

Ctopher, This is for parts I model, so I'm thinking about how my axes are oriented for my benefit.

ShaggyPE, Thanks that worked which is the short answer compared with CBL's more complete review of orienting axes at the link he provided. Just what I wanted, thanks to you both.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Kirby,

You can also rename the 3 default planes, so they correspond with the new orientation of the views.

Joe
SW Premium 2012 SP1.0
Dell T3500 Xeon W3505 2.4Ghz
6.0GB Win7 Pro x64
ATI FirePro V5800

Cadmiles,

I didn't even notice the error, I just did it the correct way that I'm sure he intended.

JMarv,

Yep, I rename the planes to either match top, right and front, or I relabel them WL, BL, and STA respectively.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Yeah, I wrote that from memory... temporary mind glitch. Glad it worked for you.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back