Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting preference for which surface gets displayed when surfaces intersect

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelkSA

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2013
ZA
Using NX 9.

When I do boolean operations to add components like windows onto a body for visualisation purposes, there seems to be conflicts in which of the components actually gets displayed, which results in 'ugly' surfaces, as seen in the attached image.

Is there a way to set which component gets displayed when two surfaces are exactly overlaid? Something like the layers capability in a photo editing program.

I know NX uses layers, but I haven;t used it before and don't think it is the right workflow for this situation.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------------------
Here's looking at you, looking at me, looking at you

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1c070d1b-d3f0-457f-bf8c-a8690f5974fe&file=GW.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Kapil,

Thank you very much.

Firstly, I am not really managing to understand how to implement the filters, it seems like even though I select different colours, they are taking no effect in the assembly.

Secondly, I am not sure it is the correct approach because I actually want both colours (in my attached image) to display, I just want the one to show above the other where they overlap, if that makes sense?

Since all shaded objects are in reality faceted models, what you're seeing is that since the facets are not identical on both sheets there is going to be interferences between them. What you should do is rather then creating separate sheet bodies is to create a single surface with subdivided regions, which as individual faces, can then be assigned whatever color that you wish. The Divide Face operation is like 'trimming' except that we don't throw away any parts of the surface. BTW, this also works when working on the face of a Solid body.

See the attached sheet body with a subdivided region.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=13c49e38-f007-4572-8fd5-927b2214d094&file=Divided_Face-JRB-1.prt
That works perfectly.

Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back