Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting the width of navigator windows in NX3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurucallie

Structural
Nov 30, 2007
US
Does anyone know if you can adjust the width of the part and assembly navigator windows? With the amount of "variables" I have turned on I have to constantly scroll to see what I need and I would really love to know how to make it wider so I can see what I want without scrolling. Is this possible in NX3, what about other releases? We will be going to NX5 soon.

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pretty sure you can simply hover your mouse over the border, grab it and drag until the window is the size you want. But I'm on NX6, and NX3 might be different.

And when you log off and back on, the system should remember the last width that you dragged the window to in your last session, so for all intents and purposes, you have just 'set' the width of the Navigator panel.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

With NX3 you can't change the width of the window, just the length by grabbing the edge and dragging. I've tried to do a right click on the edge of the window and change the size but that only works for length also. In other words everything I've tried only works for the length and nothing works for the width. I hope it gets fixed for later releases, it sounds like it did at least in NX6.

Using NX 3 I have NO problem at all grabbing the edge you do NOT need to do a of a Navigator Window and dragging it to increase or decrease its width. And when I exit the session and start it up again, the system remembers that change when I once again up a Navigator window.

BTW, there is no need to do a 'Right-Click', but rather just allow your cursor to hover over the edge of the window until the appearance of the cursor change from the normal 'target' to a double-ended arrow '<->'. As soon as you see this change, press down MB1 (LEFT mouse button) and drag the edge of the window, letting go when you reach the desired width.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Cypress, CA

Thank you for replying John, but I can't grab the edge and change the width. Is this a customer setting that maybe my company "set" without knowing what it is? I've tried to change the width and so have my co-workers and none of us can do it (at least not by dragging the edge) that is why I was wondering if anyone knew what to do, but you are making me think this is a setting issue, maybe under the cutomer defaults? If you know of anywhere else the width of the windows can be changed I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

When working in NX2 I would unpin the part and assembly navigators and place them on my secondary monitor. I quickly found out there was a limit on the width of both the navigators - there may be a similar limitation in NX3. We are currently working on moving to NX6 and it does not seem to have the same limitation.

I just asked the person responsible for our UI tools and they were not aware of anyone reporting this sort of problem before, be it on 32bit or 64bit systems. However they did say that they doubted whether any of this was tested with NX 3 running on 64bit Windows since at the time NX 3 was released the Professional Workstation version of XP-64 was barely available, and only if you actually had hardware that you could install it on.

But that being said, they this as well. Open some normal dialog like...

Insert -> Design Feature -> Block...

... see if you can, using the instructions in my previous posts, edit the width of the Block feature dialog. If that works, but not the Navigator panel, I really don't know what to suggest.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Cypress, CA

John,
I can change the size of the design feature block window (the example you mentioned above..but it is like just like COWSKI said. I should have made that clear, but I am working with 2 monitors and my part and assembly navigation windows are unpinned and placed on the second monitor. What he experienced is the exact same thing, I was just hoping someone knew of a way to over ride it. Just real glad it doesn't seem to be an issue in latter releases of NX.

Thank you both for replying.

This is a little late but may be helpful.

As our system is setup, you can only change the width of a navigator window inside of the main NX display window. You have to drag the navigator inside the main display (but still free), change the width, then put it back where you want it.
It seems to be fixed in NX6.

I stumbled upon this solution while I was helping a coworker of mine, he only had one monitor so his navigator window was on NX but unpinned, I expanded it by accident and thought I might be able to adjust it while over the NX monitor and then move it to the second monitor and it worked. Thank you so much for your input though. You were only like 3 days too late. I just found out about it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back