Setting up WF 4.0 config.sup +.pro + .win 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourkraut

Materials
Mar 29, 2007
NZ
Hi
I have just installed WF4, I am in the process of setting it up for German drafting standards ie. mmns and necessary tolerance modes.
I can not find out how to make the changes last for more than the CURRENT SESSION.
I have read about the config.sup being the master of all settings and the .pro not being able to override settings from .sup
So I have searched my C:\ for config.sup and came up with NOTHING!!
I have found a config.pro but when I use tools > options to change things they do not last for more than current session.

What am I doing wrong?
Did .sup disappear with WF4?

p.s. I have tried config mentor as suggested in other threads but you have to be able to find the file to edit it :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Kraut,

You have to create those files (text file) from scratch if you are a new user of Pro/E.

config.sup and config.pro can be put into your <loadpoint>\text directory. Config.sup options are loaded first and cannot be overridden by options in the config.pro in that directory. This config.pro is loaded second. Finally, locate another config.pro in the users working directory which is loaded last.

So in the config.sup you would put things that apply across the company such as options you dont want users to change. In the config.pro in the <loadpoint>/text directory I would put all my standard company mapkeys. In the config.pro in the working directory I would put only user specfic options and mapkeys.

The config files can be a pain to create, especially if you are a new user to Pro/E. I'm essentially still using the configs I created 14 years ago.

--
Fighter Pilot
Manufacturing Engineer

Pilot,
Vielen dank für die Info!!

I have read books referring to the editing of the .pro and .sup BUT never have I come across a web tutorial or a book that said any thing like CREATE,MAKE......
Thank you so much for your help.
You have put me back on the path to meeting deadlines!!

Happy engineering!!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Herr Sour Kraut

Sourkraut,

Tonight when I get home I'll post editied versions of my config files so you have something to reference.

--
Fighter Pilot
Manufacturing Engineer

Sourkraut,

Here's what I have. I've attached three files which have been zipped into one.

config.sup
config.pro.loadpoint
config.pro.user

All of these are text files, editable in Wordpad. Put the config.sup file in the \text directory of where you have Pro/Engineer installed. For the config.pro.loadpoint, change the filename to config.pro and locate this file in the \text directory as well. The config.pro.user file should be located in the user startup directory. These files should contain enough information for you to get started. You will also have some custom mapkeys.

As I was a former Pro/E CAD Admin for years, I had a pretty good structure in place for loading Pro/Engineer on a workstation and configuring it. My recommendations are as follows;

1. Load Pro/E in a path that does not have any spaces. For example, I have mine loading in c:\ptc\proe_wildfire30 This is just a holdover habit from my UNIX days.

2. Create a user directory under c:\ptc. Mine is called "studenthome"

3. Create another directory under c:\ptc called "ptc_standards". In this directory I have the following subdirectories. A description in parenthesis follows.

\bend_tables (sheet metal bend tables)
\details (drawing detail files)
\dwg_tables (drawing tables)
\formats (drawing formats)
\materials (material files)
\plot_cfg (plotter configuration files)
\start_parts (metric/english start parts/assys)
\symbols (drawing symbols)
\udfs (custom user defined features)

4. Create some custom start parts for yourself. Yours will probably be in millimeter. I can assist if you need assistance as I'm familar w/ the Metric system.

5. You'll want to create some custom drawing formats as well. Done properly, these will be tied to the start parts and when you insert a model into a drawing, the title blocks will fill in automatically.

I'm sure you will have more questions but this should get you going. If you Google for "Pro/E config" you should find a lot of information. If you have additional questions.

--
Fighter Pilot
Manufacturing Engineer

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9c6ad559-49e2-4c96-bb30-0575ef3e722d&file=proe_configs.zip
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back