Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Settlement of raft foundation in sloped field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YounEng

Civil/Environmental
Dec 29, 2017
ME
Hi all!
I have a question regarding the settlement analysis of a raft foundation on a sloped field (im attaching a rough sketch). My question is, what should I take as foundation depth when I do the calculations. On one hand, on the side where the foundation depth is 7m, the load of the removed soil is greater than the load from the structure. On the side where the foundation depth is 4m, that is not the case. Is it safe to say I will have differential settlements? Should I calculate the settlements for both foundation depths and see the difference in settlements?

All the books that I've looked into have assumed that the ground level is flat. So do some software that I've tried. I'm curious what method is applied for settlement calculation in a scenario like this.

Help would be much appreciated. I hope someone in the forum has faced and knows the right method for a scenario like this. Also, if you've come across books that explain this kind of problem please let me know about the titles and authors.

Screenshot_20180102-084200__01_dorrej.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you very much for the replies. I'm certainly more confident now. I looked at about 6 consolidation tests, and in 5 out of 6, it results that virgin consolidation will be triggered. I'll definitely talk to a more experienced geotechnical engineer though just to see what he thinks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back