Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Severe localized corrosion with scaling required temporary repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadieKerang

Materials
Oct 11, 2010
MY
Dear all,
Need some advice, we have localized corrosion with heavy scaling on the pipe body. We unable to remove the scaling to access the remaining thickness and thinking of doing temporary repair while plan for permanent repair in incoming shutdown.

1. Do we have a temporary repair as per international code that can be performed on the pipe with minimum removal of scaling or if possible without removing the scaling?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Would need to see a picture, but yeah, I'd get a temporary repair contractor out to see if they could build a clamp that lands on the sound pipe.

Nathan Brink

I've had similar issue due to CUI (6" pipe, xray shows as thin as ~0.075" remaining).
Basically what I've heard is no option for composite wrap or anything of the sort without disturbing the scale, which isn't an option while running for safety reasons. If scale isn't so bad and you can wire brush it even a little, a composite wrap may be a good option.
If you absolutely cannot disturb the scale, then the remaining option would be an external clamp of sorts, but need to do "dry" i.e. not injected since you run the risk of crushing through thin spot with injection fluid.
Obviously this can quickly get spiral out of control cost-wise depending on the area of affected piping.

Check with Team Industrial as mentioned above, also the Colt Group is more than capable too.

If it is only a bad localised corrosion at one spot, composite wrap should be able to protect the thinned area as long as you have enough 'anchoring' space d/stream and u/stream of the spot. Proper surface prep shall be done on this area, as it will provide sealing and isolating the localised corrosion from atmosphere and stop the degradation.

If it is not leaking yet, chances are the composite wrap will be able to solve the problem. A leaked pipe is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back