Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sewage Pump Station Emergency Overflow Prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanier

Mechanical
May 20, 2001
AU
The current project involves the upgrade of 350 pump stations in Sydney NSW Asutralia to prevent dry weather overflows. Conventional wisdom is to provide balance tanks to prevent an overflow due to loss of power etc. Thye size of the tank is based on the response time and the consequences/likelihood of events occurring.

Have any planners or designers in this forum other novel methods of providing protection from overflows in the event of failure of the pumps or other emergency condition? Can you steer me to websites where there may be technical data on such solutions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hidrostal gas driven pumps have been used in Sydney on this project.

EEKELs the Dutch Hidrostal agent have over 100 similar, mobile units for emergency stormwater & sewage over-pumping. These are strategically placed around cities to give rapid response times

stainer:

Tank storage is really going to be a problem simply because of the sheer flow involved at the pump stations. You have to remember, onece you commit to the governing agency that you are goiong to eliminate (reduce in our engineering minds but the governing agency will think eliminate) these overflows, you are going to have to make sure they wont do it again. A tank will fill quickly at peak times, leaving no response time let alone maintenance time to repair the problem.

Fuel driven pumps are an option, emergency generators are another solution I used. mobile generators you can move around with operations personnel with plugs at each pump station so you can quickly plug it in and get running work too. Remember, depending on your problems, duplicity of pumps and switchgear is a must once you consider thses options. If damage occured to either pump of electrical, you can quicky change to the backup units.

Let us know how you make out....

BobPE

stanier

You can try putting a emergency power generator just for shut sequence and drive valves and pumps just for the duration of shutdown. The power generator and pump can use the battery power to get started and as soon as they the generator starts then the battery power can be recharged.

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping that there was some rocket science out there I hadnt thought of.

We are installing sixteen permanent and contemplating 25 trailer/truck mounted generators (up to 800 kVA). We have a number of engine driven pumps and are considering another 25 trailer/truck mounted units (up to 440 L/s and 60m head).

Response time has to be < 4 hours.

You can share knowledge but you cant share wisdom. Using knowledge wisely separates engineers from the enthusiastic amateurs that burden our society

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back