Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sewer lateral testing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearass

Structural
Jul 11, 2005
GU
My project involves renovating Military Family Homes. We do a complete demo of underground utilities in the units, then provide new sewer lateral connections within 15' of the unit to the existing lateral.
Question #1. Is there any criteria/requirements for testing these new lateral connections?
Question #2. Part of this project involves some new sewer main lines. After accomplishing the tests per ASTM C 969, are there any requirements on testing the new "complete" laterals?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know about required but you could do a smoke test to see if there are any I/I problems existing beyond your connection with the lateral

Thanks for the response Sam.
The concern that the inspector has, is that after backfilling the lateral, how do we know if there was damage at the connection point. I'm concerned that the inspector will try to make me test the entire line again. But the specs only require a 2' head above the crown of the pipe in the manhole, and this is always much lower than the laterals ofcourse. So this does not affect the lateral.
Konwing that the test for the main line is due to the fact that water/waste has a chance to lay in the line, where as the laterals slope so much, water doesn't have a chance to sit/leak.
I can't find anything on lateral testing or requirements for such.

On new constrution, it is common practice to put a test tee or cleanout to grade at the property line.

Similar arrangments may be made on reconstruction if desired. Then a low pressure air test (3.5 psig) can be performed after backfilling.

There are standard test procedures and leakage allowance tables published widely. Google leakge testing of sanitary sewers to find them.

good luck

We always run a camera though a new sewer line to check for misalignments and other observable defects.

That is usually the only test done on a sewer line since if there are any significant leaks they will be observable in the form of an observable defect or misalignment of the pipe.

We also usually only camera test the main and not a lateral (I am assuming that you are referring to a house service lateral and not a main line lateral here.) We can rotate the camera to look into the connection and have available smaller camera’s that will go into a 100 mm service lateral if necessary but this is seldom used.

It also allows you to find the location and fix it.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Thanks RDK & RWF7437.

While I'm aware of the testing methods, I'm trying to find out if there are "requirements" in the code to perform lateral testing. That is the lateral from the house to the main.

Well I'm guessing the plumbing codes. My spec book only requires us to perform testing on the "sewer main" per ASTM C 969. It doesn't cover lateral testing, and we have not been required in the past to test the laterals.
Thanks again for the interest.

Lateral testing is a new idea. This is in response to the I/I work being done all around the country. The test can be anything the owner specifies, air test, visual or both. Pressures I have seen vary from 3to 5 psi for 1-2 hours before backfill. The inspector should have enough confidence in his own ability to watch the final connection and let it be backfilled.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

I would like to install flange joint of spiral steel pipe dia. 32" (force main construction for sewerage system).

The flange is JIS 10 K standard, while the pipe has pressure of 10 bar only. What I want to know for jointing the flanges are :

1. Is it necessary to place 2 washers behindboth bolt head and nut?
2. Is it necessary to place coil spring, if it is necessary, where do I have to put the coil spring?
3. What is the role of washer and spring in this case? because I never use them before for small flange joint.

Any kind of reply would be appreciated.

yes some plumbing inspectors want to see if the line will hold water for an hr ,if it does they let you hook it up .house connections are a pain .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back