Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sewer Performance Criteria - Capacity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbergholz

Civil/Environmental
Jul 3, 2003
US
Most design standards for new construction of sewer pipelines are somethign like d/D of 0.5 for 15-inch pipe and greater.

But I'm interested in performance criteria of sewer pipelines that have been established for a while and perhaps are flowing at peak d/D of 0.85 but not surcharging. Just because it is above the design standard is not always justification for replacement.

Has anyone seen documented performance criteria for sewer pipelines (not design)?

Russ..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it is not a problem, or likely to become one, who cares what d/D is as long as it is less than one ?

good luck dealing with people who see problems where none exist,

also Russ

This is a preventative measure. If d/D > 1, the problem already exists. Sorry but your reponse is useless to me and my client.

My point is/was what indicators are used by Districts to trigger upsizing of a pipeline due to capacity? The obvious one is surcharging (d/D > 1) I have heard that some districts do not conisder there to be a capacity problem until the manhole is surcharging at least 2-ft. Is this common?

Thanks..

RWF is correct. I've never heard of anyone replacing something which is not failing, unless failure is emminently certain. If the pipe is not overflowing, I doubt anyone will be able to justify money out of next FY budget to tear it out and replace it.

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back