Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SewerCAD - Modeling Equalization Basins

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichKeller

Civil/Environmental
Feb 8, 2005
US
Trying to model sanitary flow equalization basins using SewerCAD. Existing system has a typical lift station (wet well, dry well, pump) and also a 1.5 MG basin for handling peak flows. Development in the area will increase the flow to this lift station. If I use equalization (expand the current), I can potentially reduce the size of the pump required and hopefully not have to replace the 11,600 foot 18" force main with a larger main. I've been trying to model this in SewerCAD using a wet well to represent both the exiting wet well and basin. Does not seem to work very well in steady state analysis (wet well floods regardless of pump/wel size). Any ideas?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've heard that Haestad has a Q&A forum on their website. Try there.

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

When you're using a lift station under steady-state conditions, SewerCAD only sees the "initial elevation" that you set. Make sure that your "initial elevation" (on the wet well section tab) is set to just slightly above (like 0.01 or 0.1 ft) your pumps-off elevation to make sure you're considering the worst-case head.

Also consider using better software because SewerCAD is pathetic and can't even model an air relief valve. (Nor can Haestad Methods' newfangled SewerGEMS, though it's rumoured to have a scripting language to allow you to work around this problem in a cumbersome and still ineffectual manner.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back