Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SF and BM Formulas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroStress

Structural
Oct 15, 2012
GB
Does anyone know shear force and bending moment formula for two unequal span continuous beam loaded with varying distributed load? or loaded with a point load at any location? Similar to this beam but with a VDL instead of UDL.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you know one, please let us know :) I would use moment distribution method, which I consider the easiest one to handle other than computer. Did you check Roark's formula, as there may have something you can use.

use three moment equation, or unit force, to solve the redundancy.

if you're that "lazy", you could use a beam program online, but I'd prefer to calc it out at least once.

if you want the maximum BM, Roark should have that.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

The easiest way to do it manually is to use Moment distribution. With only two spans, you need only two cycles, viz. one balancing + one carry over and another balancing. (I presume that the extreme ends are simply supported).
You only have to obtain the Fixed end moments and the shears for the varying loads from any available reference such as Roark's.
Once you obtain for the final support moments, final shears can be obtained by adding algebraically the shear due to simply supported condition and the shear due to the end moments.
From the free body of each span, the point of zero shear and the moment at that point (maximum span moment can easily be calculated.

Trilinga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back