Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SF6 for switch gear 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestboy

Electrical
Jan 11, 2006
ZA
I was in a medium course for the whole of last week and the trainer mentioned that SF6 filled-switchgear is by far the safest compared to vacuum and air filled. But he could not explain to us why the gas is so good in quenching a flash. I did not need a chemical-engineer-hectic-type-of-an-answer, just the basic.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here a actually quite a lot of info on this site (use the search engine on eng-tips.com) regarding SF6.

Gas properties of SF6
"Today there is no known dielectric and breaking agent combined better than SF6 gas"

Comparison between SF6 and Vacuum

Regards

[red]Failure seldom stops us, it is the fear for failure that stops us - Jack Lemmon[/red]

Make the best use of Eng-Tips.com
Read the Site Policies at FAQ731-376

To itsmoked, SF6 has high thermal insulation capacity, it has been used in insulating double glas, also because it is a big molecule and therefore is easier to seal. If I'm not mistaken it was even used to fill car/truck tyres because of the reduced leaking possibility. Now all these applications are abandone due to the enviromental issues with SF6 gas.

For medium voltage applications SF6 or vacuum protective devices are close equivalent in term of performance, cost and applications.

The vacuum technology in the US by far is more popular than SF6 for MV application. Engineering preference in other part of the world favor the use of SF6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back