Shaft Coring Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

escrowe

Geotechnical
Aug 23, 2005
US
OK experts.

What is the preferred method for cutting a vertical full depth core from an existing drilled shaft foundation?

(cue Syncopated Clock)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

stick a drill rig over it and go to town coring. i don't know what you're looking for but i'd try to use ndt methods to check it out first then fall back on coring.

Coring is about the "only" method of cutting down a shaft. Be careful on setting up - I've cored some shafts way too many years ago - slight deviations of the drill and you'll end up drilling down a rebar - we even got a core barrel stuck once - drillers spent 2 days and a crane to try to recover [bigsmile] - their prob! I'd at least double tube core.

OK, we managed to miss the rebar.
We collected 4, 5-ft long cores using a 2-inch id double wall core barrel.
The resulting cores look just awful. Numerous horizontal separations, discoloration, and I can abrade the surface with my fingernail.
Makes me think 'bad tremie job.'
Any thoughts?

Well before we throw the baby out with the bath water......check the compressive strength of the cores to confirm. If bad, then we have a problem......were they all bad....or just a few......so do we core them all or is it just a select few........if it is just a few, possibly installing a couple of piles with a pile cap may solve the problem (talk to structural) If they are all bad....well it just sucks to be a contractor some days.

By the way.......who was in charge of the pile supervision during the project........was a geotech firm hired to perform pile monitoring......if not........hmmmm....now there was a bad move......and if there was.....well the supervising firm better had tonnes of paperwork covering themselves.

Remember......engineers do on a dime.......what fools do on a dollar.

We had four fragments (from a total cored length of 20 feet) that actually met the 2:1 height/diameter ratio for compressive strength testing.

That said, the resulting breaks ranged from 5000 to 7500 psi.

The remaining core sections were fractured horizontally at an interval of 2 inches to 1/4 inch...

FYI, the top ten feet of the shaft had failed NDT and had to be rebuilt in September '08. The shaft repair was about 3 months old when we cored it.

And dirtguy4, the contractor 'overlooked' the inspection requirement, because it was a repair job(!) :0

Could be third time's the charm. :)

Seems you had some inexperienced drillers doing the coring? Can't believe that you couldn't get better results (on recovery of pieces with L/D>2) using double tube core barrel - even a single tube. . . . Just a thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back