Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shaft sleeve or bushing assembly for composite shaft

joshcarr22

Aerospace
Sep 5, 2006
AU
Hi,

Just wondering if there are simple off shelf assembly’s or sleeves that can go over a shaft because it’s less than ideal material for friction? I’ve seen shaft collars with flanges, so I could place my rotating part (with a bushing) over a flanged collar that is wide enough but getting the collar / sleeve over the carbon tube is difficult without splitting it.

If anyone knows of manufactures that have unusual non sliding shaft sleeve assemblies, i’m forever great full of any tips!!

All the best

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The carbon tube is going to have an irregular surface which is not ideal for clamping anything to. I would suggest fabricating a split collar or sleeve that you can assemble over your shaft with clearance between and use a pumpable or pourable epoxy to fill the space. Even better, remove the sleeve after pouring and shave a thou or two off the mating surfaces to create some interference. Epoxies shrink a little when they cure so you'll be relying entirely on adhesion if you don't trim your sleeve after pouring.

You can install a trio of set screws on each end to true the sleeve prior to pouring/pumping the epoxy.

Yeah you could get a stainless tube to slip over the carbon tube, then seated between two collars (with your epoxy idea).

Alignment isn’t a huge issue, it’s just a hinge for a bicycle trailer max load 50kg. The neat job would be to do the whole lot on a steel lathe (Double flange, split, with bolts in the flange ends). Off shelf might be pushing it :(

I see there are shaft repair sleeves, typically with a flange. Perhaps that between two collars is closest besides custom job.

Thanks for the help!!

Back