Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shallow Shell Theory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StressReversal

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2011
GB
I am a junior engineer and would appreciate if somebody would explain what is the "Shallow Shell Theory" which is the basis for Bijlaard's work in building the Local Stress curves for Spherical and Cylindrical Shells and which was later adopted by the WRC?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Thin-Shell Assumption is a technique for calculating the stress in a cylindrical (or spherical) shell with the limitation that the wall thickness be no more than 10% of the shell radius.

Basically, its use negates consideration of the shell thickness as a bending member and assumes that it is perfectly in tension. The reason for negating the bending forces is due to the relatively small stresses associated with shell bending. The added bonus is that it simplifies the equations to solve for the shell thickness (or shell stress) by using the Young-LaPlace equation.

I hope this has been of some help to you.

I don't think that "Shallow Shell Theory" is referring to membrane theory. If I remember correctly Bijlaard has curves for moments. I don't have a copy handy to look at the exact assumptions of the theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back