Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shallow water pipelay barges 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jihed

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2007
US
Does anybody have any information about any desiged or constructed pipelay barge for shallow water applications (1.5-3m draft) and what kind of propulsion system used.
thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think tugs would be a problem handling anchors in shallow water, may need to use a modified jack-up, like a SEWOP or similar and rig it up to lay pipe.

It depends on what size pipe and how long it is, but it's fairly easy to rig up stations for laying pipe in shallow water, be pretty slow going, but again, if it's a short distance.....

Also, you didn't say, but is this paralell with the shore or what is the lay configuration?

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

Iuston,
thank you for the valuable information. Do you know if the Saipem castoro 12 is a self propelled or not cause I dont see any indication in the website and it is kind of hard to tow such a big vessel in shallow water. do you know any other company or shallow water lay barges.
thank you very much

Greg,
thank you for your help. this is not parallel with the shore it goes from the shallow water to a deeper water thats why I think a self propelled very low draft barge will be the best option. Please let me know what you think and correct me if I am wrong.
thank you very much

Jihed

What you may want to look at, and I don't know how close the shallow water is to the shore or how long the pipeline is, is weld it up on shore and pull it out. In fact we are doing that now in offshore Nigeria, we have very shallow water (unable to access it with a laybarge) out 5 kms and are installing dual 24" lines by welding them up on shore and pulling them to deeper water.

There are other options depending on the details, another option is to weld it up offshore in deeper water and set up a pull winch onshore to pull it in to where you need it.

Can you provide more details - an overview drawing would be helpful, size of line, where the tie-ins are, geographical location, etc. As much information as possible would help.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA

Jihed

What you may want to look at, and I don't know how close the shallow water is to the shore (where the tie-in is) or how long the pipeline is, is weld it up on shore and pull it out. In fact we are doing that now in offshore Nigeria, we have very shallow water (unable to access it with a laybarge) out 5 kms and are installing dual 24" lines by welding them up on shore and pulling them to deeper water.

There are other options depending on the details, another option is to weld it up offshore in deeper water and set up a pull winch onshore to pull it in to where you need it.

Can you provide more details - an overview drawing would be helpful, size of line, where the tie-ins are, geographical location, etc. As much information as possible would help.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA

Jihed,
I remember they have some tugs used in the caspian for very shallow water, I'm not in office now and don't have details of the bollard pull, but was enough to move the anchors of the barge during the pipelay.
Also, as GregLamberson pointed out, several method are used in the very shallow water of caspian: onshore fabrication and then pull or towing, offshore fabrication and pull to shore, conventional S-lay.
Sorry, I don't know of other Company/ Vessel specifically, as I only come across some study developed for Saipem in the Caspian sea using both Castoro12 and Ersai as construction barges.

For shallow water,. inland barges use a Voight-Schneider propulsion system. More info available from their website. This is a horizontal propeller system.

Offshore Engineering&Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back