Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shape Studio edits in NX7.5.2.5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

almakuch

Automotive
Oct 31, 2009
US
This question is regarding all Shape Studio edits done in NX7.5. Previously, we were able to do XForm, MatchEdge, RefitFace to name a few, to unparameterized sheets, non feature based. In which the sheet modified would still stay unparameterized. That doesn't seem to be the case in NX7.5. It automatically puts a feature in the part navigator history tree. This is something I DON'T WANT! The reason I do the un-associated edits to MINIMIZE the feature count in my Class "A" models and for ease of editing. Any comments would be appreciated, as I looked fairly deep into the Customer Defaults to see if there was an over-ride to no avail. Any input John Baker?.....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you wish to perform edits without creating features, just toggle the 'History-Free Mode' ON and edit away.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

thanks for that input, John....but I don't want my whole model stripped of param's.....I just want to do an edit/xform on a sheet that will have param's tied to it like intersection curves, styled blends, trims...etc....so they did take that ability away...correct....to edit an unparamaterized sheet in xform WITHOUT adding a feature?.....if so I will have to just keep that stack of features, ie....sheet body/xform.....and just edit the xform everytime I want to xform the sheet.....that is the only way I found to manipulate a "dead" sheet......NX5 you would only end up this way was when you turn on "associative edit freeform" toggle.....if you didn't....you could "xform" a dead sheet, through xform without adding features......

Preferences -> Modelling -> Free Form (TAB) -> Associative Freeform Editing (at the bottom) or in the Customer Defaults (as per the image).

This is the same as in previous versions but it may be the preference has been set the opposite to the past.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.2.5, Beta NX8.0.0.15

Thanx Anthony for the response, but the freefrom tab in Prefs/Modeling is NOT checked, yet when you XForm a "dead" sheet body, it puts a live feature in your part navigator....this is truely something that has changed in NX7.5 (we at GM are migrating from NX5), because I have used this operation extensively doing Class "A" work since XForm's inception and performing that operation PRIOR to the latest release, you would not GAIN and additional feature. It would just do a "HISTORY FREE" edit on ONLY the sheet body. That is what I am trying to do. Not a HISTORY FREE EDIT on the entire model. This should get some good conversation if there are others doing Class "A" surfacing as I do. Thanx again!

Get GTAC to check because I tested it before I posted and it does exactly as I expected. With the preference set it creates an xform feature, with it unset it creates no feature at all, just edits without parameters. It even warns when entering the xform that it will be unparametric.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.2.5, Beta NX8.0.0.15

thanx again Anthony...yes it does give you the message that it is about to strip the parameters...but when you continue, you get "Cannot remove feature parameters as it will require full model update. It is recommended to use feature parameters removal tool explicitly before using X-Form"....this message is happening in a file that has one (1) unparameterized sheet body!....no features whatsoever....It would be interesting if you get the same message as I do when you continue through the X-Form.

I appologize about the miss information.....you can do an unassociated edit in XForm on a single sheet, with no features tied to it. I failed to mention the problem existed only when there were additional features tied to the unparamaterized sheet body....for example, an intersect curve, live, resulting from two sheets, unparameterized. in NX5 you could do a un associated XForm edit on either of the sheets and the intersect curve would update, which is what I want to do. Just a pole adjustment in the sheet body to adjust reflects. In NX7.5 it states "you are about to delete to delete the paramaters from the features, do you want to continue?"......I would have thought that NX would still operate the same way and I could just XForm edit, unassociatedly, to keep the unparamterized sheet, unparameterized. The only way I can seem to get it, is to introduce a LIVE XForm, post dead sheet body...and edit the XForm on the sheet every time I want to "tickle" the surface to adjust reflection lines. Any clues?

I have created a video of this in NX7.5 which I think shows what I know it does as well as what I think you are seeing.

In it there are two sheet bodies as well as an intersect curve between them.

I can maniuplate both sheets using the freeform edit tools and the intersect curve will update without a new edit feature being created.

If I turn on the assocaitive freeform edit and the manipulate, the intersect curve doesn't update (as it's before the edit). If I delete the x-form feature, if I then try and xform edit unassociatively it warns me about the parameters.

Undo back to before the associative xform and the edits work as I expect.

Used winrar to compress the video file.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

sorry the video won't upload for some reason.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

thanx for the update Anthony....but the key is introducing a trim sheet on any of the sheets, then try to do an unassociated edit xform....in NX5....no problem.....NX7....even without "associative edt freeform" toggled OFF.....you get an additiional feature..."XFORM"....in your part navigator....

sorry...again....if you have the toggle turned off....you will get the "your about to delete the parameters, do you want to continue" message....NX5.....you could edit it with no additional feature and the intersect curve would update, no problem......NX7 you have to toggle on associative edit freeform....and reorder the additional "XFORM" feature right after the "dead" sheet....and edit it that way....to keep the intergrety of the intersect curve. by editing the xform....which it is prior to the intersect curve.....just that I didn't want to introduce ADDITIONAL features in my model....as I didn't have to in NX5.....

I understand the problem as I was able to replicate. If I could get the video to upload you could see that.

What I would suggest is to record a video (using the NX7.5 move record function) in NX5 and again in NX7.5 showing the exact same procedure (even use the same part).

Log it to GTAC as a regression from NX5 and because you have the videos showing the difference, it should be treated as a regeression and would more than liekly get fixed.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

I didn't think there was a movie function in NX5?....I have ran the one in NX7.5. I will do that!....Thanx again Anthony. If I have to in NX5, I will load and run Captivate or Captiva. i am glad that you were able to duplicate the problem.

In NX6 or above, Tools -> Movie -> Settings and change the Capture Area to Desktop.

Then you can record anything, not just the NX you are in. Then you can use NX5 and switch to NX7.5 in the one video.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

It may be worth installing NX752 MP3, there was a similar issue logged IR/ PR1825705 which relates to differences in Xform edits between NX7 and NX7.5

thanx XTOCOBOFC......I believe that we have MP3 at GM....but it isn't getting rolled out till end of April/May...so i have to try it on a Beta tube....and the issue is still there....I will check...

I have a History free solid model.when done geomety examination for intersection i fing curve intersecting which causes me difficulty in meshing the model. can anyone tell hoe to edit and delete the intersecting curve in history free model

ITSS,
This would be a good topic for a new thread since it has nothing to do with the original question. That said, I'm not sure what 'curve intersecting' means. Perhaps you mean face intersection or self-intersection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back