Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared Toolbox folder permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgowans

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2004
US
I am attempting to set up a shared Toolbox folder for all our users and am encountering problems accessing the Toolbox database. I am seeing two different errors pop up:

1)Unable to open master database due to the following database access error:

The Microsoft Jet Database engine cannot open the file 'path-to-shared-folder\SWBrowser.mdb'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

2) Unable to open master database due to the following database access error:

Could not lock file.

The problem doesn't lie in the network (at least not exclusively) because users can open existing assemblies which contain Toolbox parts and find the Toolbox parts in the correct location. New Toolbox parts just cannot be added - in fact, there is not even a Toolbox tab in the feature manager despite having the Toolbox and Toolbox browser add-ins checked.

It's my opinion that I have permissions on the shared toolbox folder messed up - does anyone know what they need to be? Per the help file on sharing one Toolbox among several users, the Toolbax parts themselves need to be read-only, but what about the other files, specifically the database files?

Thanks,
Dave Gowans

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been following the document you referenced.

I have gotten past the database errors by opening up all the permissions of the shared Toolbox folder, with the exception of the Toolbox parts themselves, which are still read-only. Now, the Toolbox is available, but users are having issues inserting Toolbox parts into their assemblies:

Unable to open read-only file \\path-to-file\xxxxxxx.sldprt

Again, the network location is available, but there is a setting I'm missing.

Again, any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave Gowans

What do you mean by the server permission?

The permission on swbrowser.mdb is NOT read-only. I opened up the permissions on the .mdb and .ldb files in an attempt to eliminate the master database errors I was getting (see my original post). Does this need to be read-only? If so, will I not end up chasing my tail by fighting through master database errors?

Sorry for any confusion....

Thanks,
Dave Gowans

FYI,

I changed the permission on swbrowser.mdb to read-only and am now getting the following error:

Error: \\path-to-file\swbrowser.mdb has read-only file attribute

What gives??????????????

Thanks,
Dave Gowans

Problem solved. I needed to open the permissions on the network share so that the users had read/write access to the shared Toolbox folder. The individual part files still have read-only access, which is OK.

Just wanted to post this in case someone else is struggling with the same issue.

Dave Gowans

Hi, Dave:

I have the same problem. What do you mean that you need to open the permissions on the network share so that the users had read/write access to the shared Toolbox folder?

Thanks,

Alex Chen

Alex,

I had to modify the permissions on the shared folder itself through the Control Panel:

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management

In the Computer Management window you will see Shared Folders under System Tools. Expand Shared Folders and you will see Shares. Click Shares and the right hand pane will show all the shared folders on the computer. Right click on your shared Toolbox folder and go to Properties. In the properties form you will see tabs for Permissions and Security. If I remember correctly, I needed to give everyone full control in the Permissions tab.

Hope this helps. Post again if this doesn't solve your problem.

Dave Gowans

Alex & Dave,

The folders the parts sit in need to `Full Access' rights to the Toolbox users, and just the *.sldprt files, have the file property in Windows Explorer set to `Read-Only'. (not to be confused with setting the file permission to [x] Read Access, in XP, 2000, NT.
The Toolbox software changes the File Attribute on the fly as needed to create any newly referenced size configurations, but cannot change actual file permissions. (It is enough to prevent accidental deletion or damage of the source part files, and to allow for multi-user access.)

Otherwise what happens is that temp files that are created as users change fastener configurations, cannot be deleted and pile up in the directory. Users eventually end up getting locked out of their hardware parts.

Also be aware that if you are using a basic XP machine as the Toolbox data location rather than a real server, and `Simplified File Sharing' is set in the Win Explorer folder properties, changes to file permissions will not actually take effect. You will also be limited to a max of 10 users.

FYI,

DesignSmith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back