Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sharing a 3D Model with Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsj0526

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2008
US
Because of the language barrier, I need to share an injection molded part with a tool designer for him to look at. So far, dimensioned drawings have not been enough. He is running Linux, and does not have any 3D solid design software, so IGES and STEP files are out of the question. I would like some way to publish it to the web. I might just have to get an SLA made and ship it up to him.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of situation?

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might have some success with an eDrawing that gets saved as an HTML file, although I doubt that there will be an appropriate plugin for a Linux browser. If there is some way the Linux machine can run a Windows executable you could save an eDrawing as a self-executable file and send that.

A bigger question in my mind would be how you would ever have any comfort level in the accuracy of the mold if 2D drawings aren't sufficient and you can't exchange 3D data. How is the part geometry going to get translated to the steel???

If I were faced with that 'dilemma', I would find a tool designer who can work with your files. There are plenty around. This person is supposed to be working for you, not you for him. If he wants the work, he should be the one jumping through the hoops.

He may be very good at what he does, but the fact he is using Linux and has no 3D capabilities, tells me he is a cheap-skating geek, and would make me suspicious of what else he may be cheap-skating on.

[cheers]

He could just use some very old unix equipment. Anyway, Linux by itself has not much to do with your problem, the software he's running on it does! so either he needs to tell you wich programs he is using or he needs to send you a list of file types he can read.

DWG, DXF, EPS, PS, and PDF are 2D formats that are very usable on both platforms (both have good free viewing and exporting tools).

3D is a different story... I know of no popular 3D CAD formats included in mainstream distro's. Hmm, now I think of it, he could be running UGS NX5...

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer
Searching Eng-Tips forums

If you're looking for 3-D model for certain details you might be able to get enough data out of a 3-D PDF. Adobe's PDF 8 format supports them, as does SolidWorks' Save As PDF feature.

Joe Hasik, CSWP
SW 08 x64, SP 3.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

Thanks for the support.
Stefan, I have tried getting the details across in dxf, but 2d is not enough.

DekkerDesign, I am using Solidworks 2007. It probably does not save it as 3d.

SW 07 does support 3D PDF's, that's how we found it. You just need to be running version 8 of Adobe PDF Reader. It's a little bit clunkier than e-Drawings and the file sizes can be a bit large depending on your level of detail, but at least it is cross platform, as far as I know.

Joe Hasik, CSWP
SW 08 x64, SP 3.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9c494d21-5b04-40fe-a470-cce87a588f26&file=3-D_PDF.JPG
Ill give that a try. I have made 3D pdfs before with Acrobat 8, but never with Solidworks.

Thanks agian for the help. This a great forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back