Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sharing a seat of SE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkelecy

Mechanical
Jun 9, 2003
US
This is the same question I just asked over in the SW forum, but since I'm still consider SE I thought I would ask here as well.

I have a contractor who will be doing some mechanical design work me, and if I buy SE I would like him to be able to use it for this. I will probably use it very little, in fact, given all my other work obligations (plus I'm more of an FEA guy). So what is UGS/Siemens policy on two users sharing a single seat (not at the same time, of course)?

Along the same lines, does anyone know what UGS charges for a floating license? SW wants an outragous amount, and I'm wondering if SE is similar.

Thanks,

Pat

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Up until V17 I used a dongle; this allowed me to use the software on any machine as long as the dongle was present. Dongles are now only used for server-managed (floating license) configurations from V19. I do not know the cost

At present I use a 'node-locked license' this method locks your node locked license to your workstation, based on its disk serial number. The initial activation is a one-time only activity once you have activated your Solid Edge license, version updates will be supplied with permanent licenses readymade for your current configuration.

I’m not sure about moving your license to a new machine as I have never had to do this, but I believe it’s possible.

So looks like you need a Dongle based option

I hope this helps

Node locked licenses can be moved from one machine to another but you have to do it through the support website.
Basically you add the machine id's to the list and then remove the license from one in the list and add it to the other in the list (or something like that)
It would be a PITA to do it regularly though.
It's more for swapping over if you have a new machine.
I don't know if you can still get dongle based option.

I have prices (from 1 year ago) that shows for the basic modules of SE (Foundation and Classic) a floating license is only about £60-70 ($100 ??) more than node locked.
However for add-ons like XpressRoute, Wire harness etc the floating is around twice the node-locked, which is logical if you think about it as they are most likely to be shared among several users.
Your supplier should also be able to give you this info.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

I have a dongle / server floating license on my main work station. But Siemens also allows me to have what they call a Home Use License without a dongle or having to be set up on a network to use. I put this on my laptop that accompanies me in the field and it works just fine. The license is good for 6 months at which time you must renew so this will only be a good solution if you are current on maintenance.

Thanks for the additional feedback on this.

If I can get a floating license for ~$100 or so (I'll check with my var on that) that's definitely how I'll go (assuming I choose SE). Most of the time the contractor will be working out of his home. So having to retrieve a dongle, although doable, could prove inconvenient (as would releasing/adding the license) if I suddenly had a need for it.

Does Siemens still allow a Home Use license even with a floating license? That would still be nice to have (for my laptop).

Thanks again.

Pat

I don't know how you would use a floating license from home - I think it may have to be on a server on a newtwork.
PLEASE don't quote me on the price difference, just ask him how much and if it would work the way you want it to.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Just for the record, a floating license for SE is only $100 (according to my var). That's quite reasonable. Given that SW wants $2000 for theirs, I think this consideration will likely make our SE vs SW decision. But that's fine with me! (I getting tired of doing evaluations :^)

Pat

Pkelecy, the answer is yes to the floating license AND home use license at the same as this is what I have currently. It allows me to use the laptop anywhere anytime without the bother of getting permission. Dave

Dave, - thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear they allow both, as what you described is exactly what I would want to do (ie. have a fixed license on my laptop and floating one at work to share).

Pat

There's one thing that sucks about the Home Use license. If you print any drawings, it has a "SOLID EDGE HOME USE" watermark on every printed page.

I work 3 days at home and 2 in the office. Now I can only print drawings when in the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back