Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing My Formula 1 Engine Excel Model 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodRico

Automotive
Apr 25, 2016
US
I'm developing a new motor architecture, and as part of the learning process, I created an Excel workbook describing the Formula 1 engine. I learned what I needed out of the effort and don't plan to take the model further. I'm posting it here just in case it provides new insight and/or anyone is interested in carrying the model forward.

A few notes...
1) The "Introduction" tab provides a lot of information regarding the genesis of the model including links to referenced works.
(note there are also a lot of links to reference materials, indicated by blue underlined text, throughout the workbook)
2) The "F1 Engine" tab is where all the math is done.
3) The "Slider Cranks" tab provides further insight into the slider crank model employed in the F1 Engine tab

Shortcomings of the current model folks should understand (and may wish to address) include:
1) Incorporate a proper fuel burn profile reflecting ignition delay and 1-Cos(crank angle) fractional burn rate
(A small effort I didn't undertake because my new motor uses HCCI combustion which has little in common with Formula 1 combustion)
2) Add calculations for all mechanical loads using the Pin Eye Load calculations and epi-eng.com as examples
(A small effort I didn't undertake because my new motor is mechanically quite different than a Formula 1 motor)
3) Add valve train characteristics reflecting approximate flow over RPM and so forth
(A major effort I didn't undertake because my new motor doesn't use poppet valves and this analysis is best done using CAD rather than Excel)
4) Add proper heat loss incorporating Woshni’s correlation, material properties, heat penetration depth vs. time, radiator, etc.
(A major effort I didn't undertake because it wouldn't relate to my new motor and because this analysis is best done using CAD rather than Excel)

Note that I converted all Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) code I used in my original effort to normal Excel equations so folks didn't have to worry about security when opening the workbook. Once opened, you'll see a lot of links to reference web sites throughout the workbook. To the best of my knowledge, they are all safe. If you're concerned, then examine the link URL and don't click it if it seems suspicious to you.

I hope folks find this interesting and/or useful. I will answer questions to the best of my ability.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=59fb1d2c-4356-4b54-a8f2-754018e633ea&file=F1_Engine_Rev_02.xlsx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back