Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing the same nodes from 2 element types 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akadet

Geotechnical
Jul 4, 2006
US
Hi
I am wondering if anybody know how to create two different element types sharing the same nodes in CAE. I only know how to create my own input file manual but it's tedius.
For an example, if you have one rectangular solid element of soil and would like to have reinforcement by placing a truss element in the mid-height of the rectagular box. If they are sharing the same nodes then they will act like "glue-together" in the middle. It would be much help if anybody can answer me this case because I will be using many layers of truss for the reinforcement.

Regards,
Ed

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I ran in the same problem too.

I usually create the part in CAE and get the node and element numbers for the first part, name the element set as required. Then copy the required element set with a element number offset with a different element set name.

I usually on the "cae_no_parts_input_file = ON" in abaqus_v6.env to make less confuse.

Hi
Which option in the part module is used to join the common point? And do you need to create a partition in the middle of the rectangular box?

You'll need a partition in order to create a geometry point. You can do that in the assembly or part module. You'd only be able to join the seperate parts in the assembly module. You can do a check to see if the nodes are the same global node number rather than the assembly node number. I think that's in *preprint, but I'd have to check.

corus

You sure that will give you 2 set of element overlaping each other and allow you to assign different material to each of them?

Materials are assigned in the property module anyway and not in the assembly module. Elements aren't merged out in the assembly module if they overlap.

corus

When I merge the part in assembly module. It seen that the merge part is a new created part and the old material setting did not carried across. Hence the new merge part have not got any material assigned yet.
Is there a option I missed?

1. Create an orphan mesh part for your particular geometry
2. Create a copy of this mesh part
3. Instance the two mesh parts on top of each other in the assembly module
4. Instance - Merge/Cut. Choose the option to merge meshes, but check the radio button option to merge alls nodes and finally *uncheck* the box that says "Remove duplicate elements"

Now you'll have a single new part with duplicate elements but shared nodes.

I don't see the reason to merge the parts at all. I was referring to simply translating one part to the other via a geometry point on one part. That should give a common node. If not then tie the two points together.

corus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back