Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing well constructed CAD models II 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiW979

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2007
GB
thread561-234523

Sometime ago I created a thread trying to encourse people to share their we constructed CAD models so that others may play around with them an possibly learn a trick or two.

Anyway the thread has been closed, but a reference to it is at the top of this one. I've got another CAD model here of a piece of round tube with a sqashed flat end,which one of my users aksed me to show him how to do, so have a look and see what you think, I'd be interested to see other peoples interpretations and also critiques of mine.

For anyone who never saw the original thread, I would recommend you have a browse through some of the excellent CAD models that people posted on there.

Enjoy :)I

Best regards

Simon (NX4.0.4.2 MP10 - TCEng 9.1.3.6.c)

Life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of times when it's taken away...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Kukelyk

Preferences > sketch > retain dimensions (just put a tick in the box) That will then leave the dimensions visible to make referenceing them in other sketches much easier.

Best regards

Simon NX4.0.4.2 MP10 - TCEng 9.1.3.6.c - (NX6.0.3.6 MP2 native)

Life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of times when it's taken away...

Deformable Part

OUr company standars say that supplier data should be stored as one solid lump rather than assemblies. So this limits our options when it comes to using arrangements. So to allow us to see how a part will interact with others within assembly, we create some high quality deformable parts to allow us to view differnt scenarios without having to use assemblies and arrangements.

Attached is a hinge, the secrect to a successful, robust deformable part is a sturdy well constructed CAD model. Open the file and look thorough all the feature taking note of how the sketches were created and constrained. Then edit the anlge expression between it's default zero and various other angles. Notice also that the part is one solid body, and not and assembly.

Now add the hinge to an empty part file to create a small assembly, slide the slider bar as you add it and see that a deformable part is created. You can double click on this in the part navigator and change the angle until your hearts content. Cool eh?

I have other examples if anyone wants them of springs, gas springs and rubber bushes.

Enjoy ;-)

Best regards

John: Interesting N-Sided_Polygon_NX5 part file used just to create the polygon shape that can be then pushed to a solid or imported to another file as a standard sketch to utilize.

Just wondered if anyone has built a spring that calculates the compression load when the length is changed and the maximum compression limit to be passed up to the assembly and used for engineering calculations.

I mean, the Maple deal will be really cool, but what cadmantools is asking can already be done with the expression system inside NX, right?

I considered the same thing and got out my Machinery's Handbook and looked-up the formulas for spring design. In the case of a Helical Spring, there are 21 equations and 3 tables of values.

Note that one of the tables may not apply since it defines a pair of variables based on the four different styles of end coils, which means that it would be easier to just create four different models and go from there. But it would still require that, based on the size of the wire, dia of the spring, type of material, number of coils, pitch of the helix, etc. that you would have to first look-up values from the two remaining tables (one table provides the Allowable Working Stress based on the material, size of the wire, and the service duty of the intended application, while the other table provides something called the Wahl Factor which compensates for the effect of torsional stress based on the ratio of the wire dia and the mean diameter of the spring) and then you will need to insert these values into at least some, but certainly not all of those equations.

While it technically could be done, in the end it would be a very tedious undertaking.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Have you ever wondered how to model a magnifying glass, that WORKED?

Unzip this assembly file, open it and without changing the orientation, go into...

View -> Visualization -> High Quality Image...

...and set the Method to at last 'Photo-Realistic' and select the 'Start Shade' button. Note that you can hide one or the other of the two magnifying glasses to see the effects. You can also try moving either of them in or out and seeing the effects.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

And now for something completely different.

I'm not sure who created this model originally, but we think it was one our customers in the UK (who had way too much time on his hands). The model is at least 13 or 14 years old and I used to use it for Navigation Demos (you see, there's a FARM inside the Clown's head with a fully detailed windmill and barn).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

I saw a post recently where someone was asking how to create a cable winder where you have ultimate control over the width of the wind, I had a look at some of the models that were posted and had a go myself, change the wind_width expression to modify the part.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back