Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sharp edges when using "lofted cutout"

Status
Not open for further replies.

phudge

Mechanical
May 29, 2009
GB
Is there a way to choose to have sharp edges on some of the edges when using the lofted protrusion/cutout instead of them all being rounded into eachother?

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Don, thanks for the reply heres an example, on the left side is what happens and on the left side is what iv drawn on representing what i want to happen,

cheers

(basically instead of curving between the cross sections use straight lines instead, but i also want to be able to curve between cross section 1 and 2 but have it straight along 2 and 3)

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6269/12654425.jpg
I believe that by definition, the loft feature blends the transition between cross-sections.

For what you want to accomplish, I think you should make 2 loft features, one for the cross section 1 and 2 (I think you'll get straight edges along the transition), then a second for cross section 2 to 3. For the latter you will need to add a guide curve to get the radius instead of the straight path.

Oh and if you were wondering, I'm pretty sure the guide curve need its elements to be tangent to each other. So making a guide curve out of two lines at an angle from cross section 1 to 2 then 3 wouldn't work.

I'm sure Don or someone else can confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back