Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharp PLC; what to replace it with 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

speclab

Electrical
Apr 6, 2003
US
I have HAST chamber that uses a Sharp PLC. If the PLC goes down, I have a pile of junk. I would like to do a pre-emptive upgrade before a major problem happens. The cost to replace or upgrade the chamber is about $65,000. Can anyone suggest a plan of attack?
Thanks for any helpful words.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To start in attacking the problem you shall consider/advise:
Is your PLC obsolete and hard to find (parts, programming)
Do you have the logic, wiring diagrams, and how things work?
Number and type of I/O, a brief idea about function .
Most of PLC can do the work (unless you have a very specific process requirements that can not be achieved by certain brand).
The 65000 $ the chamber upgrade, what the PLC portion?. Your budget may constrain your PLC shopping and limit your options that you may like to have (touch screen, HMI).
Do you need hot switchover between old system and new system?
Do you plan to give this to vendor? Do it your self. All these issues may be considered as start for your study to how to plan for the upgrade.

Hi agomaa,I appreciate the response. I should probably be more specific on my request for guidance.
The Sharp PLC is not available that I know of and I can't even find any source for parts or even information. I do have a manual and I believe the ladder logic for the application. Unfortunately, if the system dies, I am dead in the water. My intention is to upgrade to a recent and supportable brand of PLC. I do have schematics and I do know the modules that are needed for the PLC. I, like many other engineers, am tired of throwing away perfectly good equipment because it is broke and the manufacturer won't support it. This is the way new equipment quite often gets sold. I have a small independent test lab buisness and can,t justify a large expenditure for a replacement chamber. I can justify spending my own time to upgrade. Regards, speclab

Hello Speclab, Working for a Japanese company that uses a large number of Sharp controllers, perhaps I can help you find a source so that you don't have to throw away a perfectly good PLC! Please answer the following questions:

What model Sharp are you using?

Which I/O modules are you using?

Hi SonyIE,
I appreciate the response. Is it my understanding that Sharp PLC were/are used in Japan only?
Model units I have in my HAST chamber:
ZV-40PU1 PS
ZV-120CU CPU
ZV-16N2 DC Input
ZV-8S4 relay output(8 outputs each) qty 4
best regards,
Speclab

Wow, you do have a very obsolete PLC! From what I can find out this model was first introduced in 1982 and replaced in 1986 with Sharp support for the ZV series terminating in 1993. I had hoped to help you with spare modules removed from equipment we have replaced but your ZV series predates anything I have.

Sharp is sold, supported and used in the United States with its market typically being Japanese companies. Here at Sony we have a large installed base of ZW and JW Sharp PLCs and for sales and support we use the following company:

OTEC (Ohio Takamatsu Electric Company)
Ph: 614.438.0222

Judging by what you have listed your system has 16 inputs and 32 outputs maximum, a very small system by today's standards. Given that you have both the schematics and ladder logic for your HAST chamber, you should be able to select a small PLC to replace the Sharp ZV and install it.

As far as a plan of attack, I would now research available PLCs and select a suitable replacement. If you want service and support I would purchase the PLC from a distributor. If you feel comfortable supporting yourself and want to save money, you can turn to the equipment liquidation/salvage market or even Ebay to purchase the PLC.

After purchasing a replacement PLC, set it up on a bench, program and test it to confirm it is working as expected. Completely back-up your Sharp PLC to protect your investment should your installation not function as expected, the Sharp can be reinstalled. Remove the Sharp PLC and install its replacement, debug the program you have copied from the Sharp and you should now have an updated HAST chamber.

Good luck!

I agree with your desire to update your system, but until you do, here is a little more usefull info. The Sharp PLCs were also sold under brand label by Furnas Electric Co. up until Siemens bought them. There are still a lot of used and NOS parts out there that will work in your PLC. Believe it or not, check Ebay!

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I saw some old Sharp ZW series (ZW-32N2T, ZW-16N2, etc.) PLC Modules available on eBay, if you are still looking for some - because they are discontinued & hard to find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back