Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shear and Flexure interaction in timber members (NZS 3603)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_TECL

Structural
Dec 2, 2021
NZ
Hi Team,

I am working on a bridge deck problem where the shear capacity of the deck is highly utilized at ULS (~95%) and the flexural capacity utilization is less significant (~65%). In steel analysis, shear/flexure interaction is considered and flexural capacity is reduced if shear demands become significant enough.

I haven't been able to find any mention of shear and flexure interactions in any NZ timber design resources.

Does shear and flexure interaction carry any weight in analysis? i.e if shear is 90%+ utilized, does that reduce the member's flexural strength.

Cheers :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not that I know of. The reason is the maximum stresses in timber do not coincide, for shear the stress is parabolic for a rectangular member, so zero at the location where flexural stresses are at a maximum at the extreme tension and compression fibres.

In steel if you're dealing with say an I section, the shear stress at the underside of the flanges is still quite high so there is interaction when you also consider typically you're going to have a plastic distribution of flexural stresses for compact sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back