Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear friction for punching shear 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

azulazul

Structural
Jul 16, 2021
NZ
Hi All,

Are the top matt reinforcement bars reliable for punching shear considerations such as seen below?

Screen_Shot_2021-07-29_at_7.02.18_AM_nb9yfe.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

azulazul,

The concept of shear friction relies on reinforcement in tension providing a clamping force to hold a crack together. Bottom bars at a support are not in tension, so they can't provide clamping forces.

For narrow columns, I add Xtra bottom steel for shear friction to try to stop any initial cracking one end embedded in the column and the other in the bottom of the slab.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

dik,

I would like to see that detail. But if it is in the bottom of the slab, it can't work for shear friction. Not saying bottom steel is not a benefit for punching shear, because it is, but shear friction...no.

@Hokie: I'll see if I can dig up a detail. It's not for punching shear or shear friction, but with narrow columns (sort of like 12x>24, 10x>24, or something of that ilk) , there's a propensity for the slab to crack, initiating at the narrow face. The moment is also higher due to the column being stiffer in that direction. It's not a code thing, just personal practice. The bars act as a tension 'restraint' anchored in the bottom of the slab, resisting initiation of punching shear. RJC used to proportion the top mat bar distribution to reflect 'narrow' columns based on research and model testing done by Per Christoffersen, as I recall.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back