Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shear Load on Padstone (UK Residential Construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorrissey

Structural
Jan 24, 2024
GB
I normally work on larger steel frame structures, but have a small domestic project at the moment which has raised this.

Something I see a lot of in the UK in various forms - some sort of steel frame tied back to an existing building with beams on padstones. A few images from a google search for reference.

I'm assuming the columns or gable frames are effectively a propped cantilever, so there's got to be an element of lateral loading taken back and a shear load at the padstone?

How would you deal with that? Dead load and friction? Bolted / cast in connection to the padstone and a shear check on the masonry? I don’t think i’ve ever seen a beam fixed to a padstone

I’d be interested to see any examples of similar design / details, or for someone to point out something obvious i’m missing!

256339609_5180985538596116_5018896967880693029_n_m1swo8.jpg

4-10-10-22-6_au1mi6.jpg

1_paiacr.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not in the UK, but I think that an engineer would consider the connection of the other materials as being more effective in carrying shear back into the masonry wall than the bearing point of the steel. I'm not convinced an engineer was involved in the projects you show.

If I needed to carry load through the steel: for a minor load, I might consider that masonry placed tight around the steel at its bearing is sufficient. For something more significant, I'd anchor or weld the steel to a bearing plate embedded in the padstone. (I often specify a pad stone-like bearing block as a cast in place element)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back