Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear loads to adjacent wall lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andr3w44

Civil/Environmental
Aug 17, 2017
US
I redlined an attached sheet with a couple of questions, both similar.

For the Area 2 question im thinking i may have to bring that force down to grid 15, but would like to avoid that.

Also, for shear walls that are raked, is the height of that wall taken from the highest part of the wall or the average height.

Thanks,

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e8a1252a-d1e7-4ec2-a4e2-09c8b0dc9b4f&file=170518-GAVIGAN-PL314-A22-F.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OP said:
For the Area 2 question im thinking i may have to bring that force down to grid 15, but would like to avoid that.

I'd think that you'd have to take it to 15 if the tops of the walls at 7 & 8 are at a lower elevation than the diaphragm at area 2. You could try to transfer the shears through columns but that can be a detailing nightmare and the flexibility of the load path is a bit dubious.

OP said:
Also, for shear walls that are raked, is the height of that wall taken from the highest part of the wall or the average height.

I vote average height.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Kootk said:
I'd think that you'd have to take it to 15 if the tops of the walls at 7 & 8 are at a lower elevation than the diaphragm at area 2. You could try to transfer the shears through columns but that can be a detailing nightmare and the flexibility of the load path is a bit dubious.
I'm thinking carrying it down to 15 wouldn't be so bad now that im checking the size of the force. But then Im wondering how to check and/or detail the shear transfer from the flat roof diaphragm to the gable roof diaphragm.

Ive attached a way that i think i could get the Shear force F=1700 lbs from line 8 to line 7, but have a question about a connection(see attached)

With both of this said would you think the method of transfer would be better off going to line 15 rather than line 7.

appreciate the response.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3d7b9722-4bdb-42da-a393-63770d6dc414&file=170518-GAVIGAN-PL314-STRUC-FLAT.pdf
OP said:
Ive attached a way that i think i could get the Shear force F=1700 lbs from line 8 to line 7, but have a question about a connection(see attached)

I quite like the look of this proposal now that I see the 3D reality of things. I would think that all of your collector force would be dissipated before you got to the west wall.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back