Shear Pins - Ratio of pin OD to Shear dia, good practice 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmWaa

Mechanical
Aug 17, 2023
NZ
Hi all,

I have been searching, fruitlessly, for good practice guidelines when it comes to shear pin design and the ratios to set the pin OD and shear dia to. We deal a lot with retrofitting solutions, so unless I can persuade the client to bush this particular lug the OD of the pin is set. They want to change the material to 4140 from bronze, which would be a good choice but the increased strength means the OD to shear dia is a big step change: 35mm down to 14.5mm. Eyeballing this it looks too pinched for my liking, but I can't find anything that gives guidance of maximum ratios for setting pin dia to shear dia.

Are there guidelines that people stick to? Or could you have a 75mm dia pin and a 15mm shear dia and there are no adverse effects?

TIA.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

instead of making the groove deeper, maybe drill a hole in the shearpin instead. then you"might" even be able to keep the groove dimension close to what it was before.

the shearpins we use on boiler stokers are drillled in this way, thats where i got the idea.

I think that by using a 'groove' it is easier to determine the true failure load. There will likely be less 'scatter' in the values.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back