Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear stress in a shaft..

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirumalai

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2003
IN
Hi all,
I am doing gear test rig design. My problem is to find the shear stress in a stepped shaft. I have modelled with beam4 (line element). I have searched in Element table for plotting the shear stress. But couldn't get. Is there other ways to see the shear pattern in a shaft? Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do stepped gear shafts on aircraft actuators.
model the shaft 3D using small angle of rotation say 5 or 10 degrees, set the coordinate system to cylindrical, do an "nrotate", all" command
apply symmetical BC on cut surfaces, isolate line, select nodes attached to line, make component of node set, list the nodes and determine number of nodes, apply force on nodes to create torque on shaft, apply restraint on area , run, get results by setting "DSYS,#"(cylindrical coordinate system number)to get shear stress in cylindrical coordinates.

Thanks strendrive. Thats the way to do in 3D. I need to plot shear stress in a 1D line element Beam4. Is there command to plot that?
Thirumalai.

Thats not a 1D element. I hav used Beam4. That is a 3D line element. It has 6 DOF & MX can be applied. My question was to plot the shear/twisting stress in that elemnt. Anyone know please....
Thanks,
Thirumalai.

Hi
I would suggest you to use beam44, if you wanna do it in 1D. I havnt check but you can turn on the element shape /ESHAPE and plot the stresses. Try this
Rehan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back