Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shear stress on stacked HEB220 beams

FilleLJ

Industrial
Oct 25, 2024
Hello! I'm working on a garage with a vaulted ceiling on my property.

I've scored two HEB 220 beams from work and i'm planning on using these as a ridge beam for a vaulted ceiling. I've been playing around on Skyciv and they're plenty strong together.
However, it automatically bonded the beams into a composite, i'm wondering what the recommended method of attaching the beams together IRL is? I know that a bonded composite is stronger than two simple stacked beams.

What's making me confused is the shear stress I got (~50kN in each corner) from Skyciv, is this really it? That sounds like nothing to my untrained ears? Couple of M16/M20 8.8 bolts through the flanges and i'm all set? Better yet, run a couple of long welds along the flanges?

I was about to send these to the local ironsmith, but I could drill and bolt that pretty easily myself... Please help!

See attached file for the beam calculation from Skyciv

Excuse any English errors, it's not my native language

Attachments

• SkyCiv Beam Summary Report_D80B9zkq7lFGwpmfBcposmAQgkT7BgBD.pdf
    651.9 KB · Views: 12
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I mean this in all seriousness... please hire someone competent to do this for you.
Thanks? As I said in the post, I was about to bring this to the local ironworker. They are certified in every aspect.

The framing calculations will be done by professionals aswell.

The very thought about attaching the beams myself sprung from the shear stress given by Skyciv.

It's a pretty straight forward question, no need to be uppity.

A simple "No, it doesnt work like that, it works like this and you should probably consult the ironsmith instead" sounds way nicer, but I guess you need social competence to figure that out

Sorry. What I meant to say was this:

It doesn't sound like you understand how this all works. Please consult a structural engineer local to your area and have them design whatever it is you're trying to achieve. This is not a job for an iron worker, and I very much doubt anybody on this forum will design it for you.

Google the concept of shear flow. You'll be looking for an equation of the sort that is VQ/It to determine the fastener spacing and capacity demand. It's generally thought that welds are the most appropriate form of fastening unless your bolts will be slip critical.

Thank you
Google the concept of shear flow. You'll be looking for an equation of the sort that is VQ/It to determine the fastener spacing and capacity demand. It's generally thought that welds are the most appropriate form of fastening unless your bolts will be slip critical.
Thank you, i've been looking around at articles like this. I found some interesting links! I'll be trying to apply this to my scenario!
For example:

I will be consulting with the main engineer about this either way, thank you for not being dismissive!

Last edited:
Sorry. What I meant to say was this:

It doesn't sound like you understand how this all works. Please consult a structural engineer local to your area and have them design whatever it is you're trying to achieve. This is not a job for an iron worker, and I very much doubt anybody on this forum will design it for you.
That's fine, thanks.

Ofc i'm not a structural engineer, im just a technician by trade who's building a garage! However I do like challenging my brain with new things sometimes, . I've never worked with steel beams before so I find it fascinating to learn some basics about it!
These beams kinda landed on my lap, the plan from the start was to use wodden gluelam beams as they are very common here in Sweden.

I'm not trying to die, so I wont do anything stupid. I'll make sure the connection is plenty secure before proceeding.

I will not be asking someone here to design it for me, i'm just trying to learn because I find it mentally stimulating. That's why I responded harshly, because I dont think curiosity should be discouraged!

Back