Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear wall + Steel cantilever Column (moved post to here..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatMan

Structural
Feb 23, 2014
US
I accidentally posted this in wrong thread, but here we go.
I have a small two-story addition (~20 x 20). I'm putting Hardy Frame panels at corners of one side of the building, and putting cantilever on the other corners as shown in the doodling sketch. Is this an efficient approach? Reason for dropping the cantilever is to have open space on this side... As always, I appreciate any feedbacks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How large of an area is it? Do you need 2 Hardy Panels or can you make 1 work? Do you need the ones that run left-to-right on the page or can you utilize the cantilever columns in that direction as well? If you are looking for redundancy the multiple Hardy Frames are nice, but they may not be entirely necessary depending on the size and force levels you are dealing with.

Mixing and matching lateral systems is never an ideal situation due to different deflections, R values, etc. My preference, would probably be to put in 4 cantilever columns so the structure behaves more uniformly, but others may approach it differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back