Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear wall with steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

cianentreprise

Structural
Apr 14, 2001
DE
Hi

In France we use the 'european recommandations for the application of metal sheeting acting as a diaphragm' (1995 n°88).
Does anyone knows this recommandations ?
What are the calculation codes in US or Canada ?
Is it possible to have this code ?

Does anyone use metal sheeting to carry the vertical loads and to stabilize the building ? We're experiencing since more than 5 years a 1.5mm thick cassette (U-form). This vertical cassettes are joined together and are able to carry more than 100 kN/ml.

Geoffrey

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

greeting...

I have the same problem also. I am planning to investigate the shear capacity of steel studs with ga. 26 sheating fastened by 1/4" x 14 ga screw at 12" o.c. along the edges.
I am planning to do it by investigating the capacity of the most stressed screw and the bearing of the sheathing.
I am looking forward for comments about the issue.. tnx

Hi there,

The AISI (American Iron and Steel Institute) has a code for that kind of elements
"2001 edition of the North American Specification for the Design of Cold-Formed Steel Structural Members"
This is also the first North American cold-formed steel specification which is applicable in the USA, Canada and Mexico

There is some informations and pictures at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back