Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shearwall Modeling Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshani

Structural
Apr 29, 2003
US
I have a 26 story building in seismic zone 3. The main lateral system consist of 46'x46' interior concrete core with additional perimeter frame for 25% EQ loads. When I am modeling my shear walls with 4 corner supports, I am getting huge lateral forces even in DL or LL cases. Overall lateral force is zero as the forces are equal and opposite in direction at each corner. But when u have load combinations, this forces add up and give me huge base reactions.

I was wondering if any of u know any better technique to get rid of this reactions due to DL or LL? (note: there are no errors in the model)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi mshani:

You have to use the sequential load case to eliminate those reactions in the base.

The problem is you load at one time the hole building when run the analysis and that is not the real way of loading the structure.

Using Seq. Load Case the reactions in the base changes depending the type of building you are doing,but is more real than your results.

Try with Etabs v8.2.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back