Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sheet export to another design (with views and dimensions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dihen

Mechanical
May 28, 2013
DE
Hi,
I use NX 10 with Teamcenter according to master model concept.
I have a drawing sheet with some views whose parts are "Referenced only" ( The views have been created from another part)
I want to use this sheet in another design.
What i tried until now:
-I tried to open both drawing and simple copy paste the sheet. Unfortunately the dimension were gone. (although it pasted in the referenced parts, so the result was not so bad...)
-I tried the File, Export, Part. There I set up the existing part, drawing selection, sheet... etc etc. It was worse than the "copy paste". The Views have been copied but without the reference part
(after update got the views from the 3d model of the target design...)

I uploaded a little test case as screenshot for better understanding. The parts/assemblies I want to export are more complicated of course :)

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=247752fc-1611-4ec5-b172-b387cce4e7e6&file=2017_10_10_30_14.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Copying a Drawing to "just" another design and expecting the Dimensions to re-attach by themselves is a dream.
This will never work unless the part you are copying to is a copy from the original.

The dimensions are attached to tags from the original. These tags have to be there in the other part as well otherwise NX doesn't know how to re-attach them.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX11 / TC11

I just hoped if the part is "referenced only" in the source design, and in the target design we get the views and the part as "reference only" as well (it works with copy paste) the dimension tags also go with the views together...

Tags are on the 3D model. not on the curves from the view.
And reference only means that the model used for the view will not end up in the partlist.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX11 / TC11

Exactly.
In my original Design the views are created about an external part.(referenced only) If the dimensions are attached to the 3d it should work. The 3d will be same in the new design too.
In the new design this external part still the same. The views are the same. so... if I follow this logic, the dimensions should know their places...

(I know: if I would use "replace component" in a common drawing, the dimensions should be redefined, because the surface ID has been changed, and the dimensions lose their references... but in this case there is no change in 3d. The dimensions simply have not been copied... if it not possible... then ok :) I just want to know, I want to stop the trying :))

Watch this video:

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6fbee2b3-821d-4d58-8226-b28ad361903d&file=Drawing_copy_paste.wmv
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back