Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sheet Metal A Plastic Part

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhusted

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2001
US
Does anyone know how to create a circular sheet metal part, when it has cutouts that do not pass completely through the part? If I sheet metal a block that has a cutout the whole way through, it will work. If the cutout stops short of the opposite wall, it will not work. This is a model of a plastic part that I would like to show a customer how it wraps in a circle. Is this even possible?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

I have just created a sheet metal C shape by drawing a C shaped sketch, extruding it and then converting it to sheet metal. I added a cut by drawing a sketch on a plain and extruding it thro one side wall it flattened without a problem. I was also able to flatten the part and then add a cut and refold the part without a problem. I am using SW2001 which does have the most up to date sheet metal functions. If you would like the part to see how I constructed it then please send me your email address.

Best Regards

Kevin Batty
kevin@ketd.co.uk

The best way to do this is to create your model, and then Insert Bends. After that, rollback the Process-Bends1 to get a flat pattern of your model. From here you can select any face and add your cut features. When you Rebuild your model, you should have your circular model with the recessed features you are looking for. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

I am using SW2000. I created my circular model, rolledback to obtain a flat model, and made a cut on one of the faces. If I let the cut go thru all, it works, but if I use offset from surface, it rebuilds without the cut. Does anyone have a work around or an idea why this is happening?

Thanks in advance,

Jack
jhusted@sssnet.com

Ketd and Jack,

I would like to see this file that you made Ketd. I have tried it in SW00, SW01 & in SW01+ and I can't get the pockets to show up correctly in the sheetmetal part. Jack sent me his part and it isn't a complete cut thru feature. It's a feature with a certain depth cut into the material before it is bent. Once bent the feature disappears. This is a bug that has been around a while and nobody has noticed it, or I'm doing something wrong. I have to admit I have not used sheetmetal that much, but this is really Odd.

Sorry for taking so long Jack, been real busy at work and and at home. ;-)

Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back