Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sheet Metal Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekfan

Industrial
Apr 4, 2006
US
I have a interesting question for the community. I have been tasked with a side project, and am at a stopping point. I am trying to create a globe of the earth to mount outside our plant, but am having difficulty. I have created the sphere, then sketch planes, and finally, sliced the sphere into 8 pieces. Now I am trying to flatten those pieces out to find a sheet metal blank size for them. I will be cutting out the stainless steel sheet on our laser, and forming the parts with a english wheel, but am having difficulty trying to force solid works to convert the slice into sheet metal. I shelled out the sphere to .059 (16 ga stainless). As a side note all the information on the outside of the globe will be laser etched.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check these two threads below

thread559-108630
thread559-12566

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

You will not be able to change the sections into Sheet Metal parts. To manufacture those parts in real life involves stretching & thinning (plastic deformation) of the material. SW (& most other solid medellers) cannot currently do that.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Not sure if this helps, or is what you need to do but what if you located a picture of the earth in a flattend (rolled out) view on the internet. Should have zig-zag cut outs on the top and bottom. Then somehome re-create that pattern onto solidworks sheetmetal. Now print out the sketch and cut it out with a knife or scissors. From there you should be able to tape it together or even use glue just to get a rough idea that it will work with sheetmetal.
Just a thought...

pj

I have actually done the paper model, i was hopeing to have it done in solid works. It is not required of me to do so, but i was just trying to push the envelope.

WOW ... why so many sketch bends? Are you having to bump this in a Press Brake?

[cheers]

You only needed one Sketch Bend (at the widest point) with the bend angle set to 180deg & the bend radius set to 5.6875" to achieve what you had. A tiny flat at the sharp ends can be used to set the "Fixed Face".

[cheers]

I am SURE you can NOT flatten a sphere !!

It has been some 200 or perhaps even 300 years ago that some mathematician (Swedish ?? - though not sure) has proven this once and for all that you can NOT flatten a sphere

jacek0841 ... you are correct ... but you can (physically) create a spherical segment from a flat, however stretching & thinning of the material will occur.

SolidWorks cannot (at the moment) "handle" the plastic deformation calcs needed to create a flat from a sphere. The SurfaceWorks package from Aerohydro apparently can.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back