Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sheet metal Lofted bends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnie4

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2005
US
I have a rectangle to round part that requires flanges on the rectangle side I can create the loft and it unfolds fine but I cannot add flanges or tabs to this part I am guessing it has to do with the freeform bend generated in the loft command but how do I get one continuous part with folded tabs on it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Come up with a way to create a flat edge that is unfoldable. That's going to be the only way you can get SW to create an edge flange/tab.

Even if it means you have to customize the loft to a flat point to accomplish it. Otherwise you're not going to be able to unfold it.

I don't know how exactly your part is shaped so I can't give more advice than that. Organic/lofted shapes with sheet metal don't work out so well. You can do some cool mitred edges and angled turns, but unless it's a consistent flat sweep you'll have issues.

Can you post a picture of what you're trying to do?

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

Can you run the loft to a very short flat surface on the long tab you want to add?

That way when you add the edge flange it's mating to a flat face, not just a flat edge. I'm sure it will work in this fashion. Even if you have to cut back the rounded part to add the flat solidworks will handle it.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back