Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SHEET METAL MANUFACTURE - FABRICATION / PRESSING / MOULD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredUK

Mechanical
May 13, 2009
GB
I am looking to get stainless steel sheet metal part manufactured. It's a fairly complex shape and I don't know much about sheet metal work and what processes are available. Two options/parts are shown in the attached picture. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any way of forming the part in two halves and welding down the middle? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

fredUK,

I cannot uncompress your file. Can you use some form of ZIP instead?

I strongly recommend talking to some vendors, preferably ones local to you. They will tell you what they can do. Ideally, they will tell you that this is what they do, and they will show you similar stuff out in their plant. Failing that, they may suggest other local vendors, or provide some design tips that will make your part fabricatable.

Can you break your complex part up into smaller pieces, then weld them together?

Critter.gif
JHG

Thanks for your response drawoh. I have attached a legacy zip file, which should be compatible with most forms of archiving software versions. I have emailed several local suppliers without response as yet. I was just wondering if anyone could give some advice on the design or any manufacturing techniques that may be available for sheet metal, which would be useful for this application.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=93a8b3cc-ad7a-4cb1-9f27-4b0c8221b7f0&file=ONE-SIZE_OUTLETS.zip
Fred that is the sort of thing we design all the time and yes it is possible to manufacture as two halves and weld them together.

Basically you would need to draw the shells and the trim around the edges and then wipe the rest of the sides down and finally cam trim the open edge, it is possible that you could lose the cam trim edge and work to a development but I would not recommend that if you wish to robot weld.

I could put you on to a few companies in the UK that would manufacture this and produce pressing if you wish, however I am not sure how ethical that is as we have direct dealings with them. Would that be allowed on this site or is that seen as unethical?

Sorry I should have added depending on volumes required it might be cheaper to just have one draw tool and 5 axis laser the part from that.

Thanks for your response alansimpson, but in terms of rapid prototyping, for metals the cost would be excessive (if thats what you are suggesting), irrespective of quantities for production.

Thanks as well ajack1. It really sounds like you have a good deal of experience with applications such as this. It would be great if you could point me in the right direction as to what companies would be able to produce the pressings (I have had no luck so far). I understand your concerns with ethics, but here is my understanding of such a problem. Naming companies that may be able to offer a service should be ok (I've done it and many other people have done this), but the use of this website to promote or market a company or service is not. Where do you draw the line... I don't know. It would be good if someone could clear this up. If you know of a website that I could look at, to see what is available and who may offer a feasible solution to the manufacturing, it would be great if you could post a link. Thanks for your help.

ajack1

There shouldn't be any problem with answering the question including the ones you have ties with as long as you're open about it and it's in direct response to the question.

Where it gets borderline is if you direct someone only to company XYZ without admitting that you work for company XYZ.

Patricia Lougheed

-----
"Somebody on this Internet forum said it was ok" is not a sufficient explanation when responding to a lawsuit.

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back