Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sheet Metal - Miter Flange doesn't flatten

Status
Not open for further replies.

cninneman

Industrial
Nov 18, 2004
US
I have created a fairly simple sheet metal part, long rectangle shaped base-flange with 2 short sketched bends, and then I add a miter flange to one side. The flange is added with no problem, except the "Miterbends" are not placed in the feature, if you expand the flange in the tree. What I really don't enderstand is that if I add a second miter flange to the other side, that one is just fine, and is able to be flattend.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just to clarify, I'm not having any problem getting the miter flange created. It's being created without any bend information. The second miter flange is created as it should be, with bend information. So, when I go to flatten the part, only one miter flange is flatened.

With some help from another user on the solidworks.com forum, I have narrowed it down to the way I modeled the part, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. I sketched the base-flange as a rectangle, I then added the sketched bends, and finaly the miter flanges. His method was to create the base-flange as a thin feature, and for whatever reason, that seems to make a difference.

I've got a lot to learn yet, that's all I know.

Thanks
Chris

There are several ways to create any sheet metal part. Getting the designers on the same page and working in a similar fashion is helpful, if you are the only user at your place, keep in mind that you are laying the ground work. I recomend picking up sheet metal products from around the house and practice. When I learned sheet metal it was challanging and very educational to take the cover off a VCR, Washing Machine housing, Computer case ....

It makes it fun and helps you to learn not only how to draw the parts correctly but also opens your eyes to what can be done from a single piece of sheet metal.

What does the edge look like that you are trying to put the miter flange on?

Keep in mind that mitre flange is designed to put 90deg. bends (only) along multiple edges of a part - if you are putting a bend along only 1 edge you'll have better luck with an edge-flange, since it gives you control over the flange profile and reliefs.

Here is a link to the part file, if you're interested, you'll see what I mean.

The edges are fine, and the flange was being created just fine (visualy), but when you go to flatten it, that's where the problem occured. Another user found that if the flange was started from the opposite end, then the bend information was created with the flange. So, I can only assume it must be a bug in the software, somehow tied to the sketched bends. That's the best guess I've got for now. The important thing is that I know now, how to work around it.

Thanks
Chris

Well, I see that link didn't work out. It should work if you type it in. If it does not, let me know if you're really interested in this and I'll find a way to post it, otherwise no big deal.

Thanks

Chris,
This is what I got:

A Hotlinking Error Has Occured!

We have detected a hotlinking error. Hotlinking is when you link to images or NON html files on 150m.com from another host. Hotlinking is not allowed for our FREE Accounts. Hotlinking is allowed for our paid accounts. Your account can be upgraded in the user section when you have logged in.

Bradley

OK, under your Miter Flange1 feature, I see no Miterbends. But in your Miter Flange 2 feature, all three bends show. I'd say the problem might lie there. If you roll back to your Miter Flange1 feature, see if you can edit the feature and make sure the Miterbends are used just like in the second feature. If you cannot edit it, delete the feature and remake it just like you made the second.

That should help it flatten out.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

That is the problem. That first flange is being created without the bend information. Try as many times as you want, it wont put it in. However, if you go to the opposite end, and start the flange there, it will work. I don't understand why, but it does.

Strange...I suppressed the first feature, mirrored the second feature across the front plane and the feature was placed correctly. But it didn't flatten.

I guess if you're just trying to solve the problem, I'd suggest rebuilding the part. Try using Thin Features to extrude as much of that geometry as you can (up-side-down U of your main body can be done in a single sketch). Generally model the part differently and I think it will work. Since it's a simple part it shouldn't take long to get a good part. You can figure out the problem later if it still bothers you.

Jeff Mowry

Yeah, that's kind of the conclusion I've come to. I did model it using thin features, and that is something I need to work on doing more of. I'm new to this sheet metal game, so as I said, I've got a lot to learn. Anyway, I've got a part that works now, it's just curious that it does that, I can't think of any reason it shouldn't work. It may not be the best practice, but should work regardless.

Thanks for the input
Chris

I agree--if it lets you build it, it should also function properly with the features used. I've had file corruptions before in early versions, and would often face similar errors without knowing the file was corrupted. Only option was to export to a dumb solid or rebuild from scratch. I haven't had a corrupted file for years now.

Jeff Mowry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back