Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sheet Metal Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrewmaster

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2013
US
I'm trying to make a lofted part into a sheet metal part but also have more metal added on besides just the lofted part. I know how to use the lofted bends command but every time I use it I am unable to add more to it without Solidworks creating two separate sheet metal parts and two separate flat patterns in the tree. Has anyone found a way around this? I have attached the solid model I am looking to create, the model attached doesn't have gap to unfold it. It is just the final product I'm hoping to make, the gap can be anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think this part would ever unfold.
How is the real part made (brake folded or deep drawn press)?

Your thickness is all over the place (look at it from top plane Section view.
I think I would have Extruded the two ends (solid) lofted the central sections (solid) and then shell the entire part to get uniform wall thickness.

That was just the general shape I was trying to achieve when turning a part into a sheet metal part solidworks will default the thickness to a constant value. Here's what I ended up doing, separated it into two separate parts to weld together. My main question was more about how to use the lofted bend command and then also add on to that without solidworks giving me "multiple parts"

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d0ce180e-03f5-484a-8b92-1b0ebb8e10ea&file=Right_Vacuum_Assembly.EASM
abrewmaster,

i see you figured out what you were after. But as a suggestion seems you mention fabricating this part. You didnt enable measuring in your .easm so i couldn't check sizes for sure. But i'd be looking at braking that part up into at least 4 parts. The transition into 2 parts (2 equal halves) and that main trianglar part into two parts with the joins down those "shoulder" seams (where you have the short sides split.. just continue that) because you wont be able to press the very narrow folds you have. If you put the join down one of those folds it'll not only solve this issue but also eliminate a flat face butt weld that will make the part look crap and be harder to weld and take more clean-up. Instead you'll have a nice corner to corner weld with min clean, better finish, easier to weld, and the guys on the press brake won't bring it back and tell you they can't fold the thing. :)

I can't open the part because my company is still using SW2012. Anyways, you know you can make the final part as lofts, bends, extrusions, etc. Then when you are complete add a small cut where you would want the seam. Then use the sheet metal "insert bends" function to convert it to sheet metal. When you click on "insert bends" it pulls up the bend parameters feature manager. Click an edge where you just made the cut and hit OK. This usually allows you to take a finished part and converts it to sheet metal allowing you to have a flat pattern. This way you don't have to keep adding to the initial piece/ flat pattern. The other option is to un-fold > add material > fold. That's how I do some odd flat patterns easily (although its more of a guess & test method).

Unfortunately this would not be possible with my model I previously had since it was a completely lofted part. You have to choose a flat surface for the "insert bends" command and I don't have any. I also have more than two profiles for my loft so I can't use the "lofted bend" command either. Basically my question was how to turn a multiple profile lofted model into a sheet metal part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back